Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) is a saving instrument that provides interest income similar to bonds. Amount invested in Kisan Vikas Patra doubles on maturity after 8 years & 7 months. Some people have a misconception that only a farmer can invest money in Kisan Vikas Patra. However, it is absolutely false. Anyone wishing to invest money at safe places can go for Kisan Vikas Patra.
How to Invest
One can invest in any head post office / sub-post office in cash, demand draft, or local cheques. You just have to walk into a post office, and meet a clerk looking after KVP issues. He will give you a form. You just have to fill the form and submit it with the desired amount. A KVP would be issued to you. However, be mindful of taking a few of photographs of yours with you. You would need them to put on the form.
- Facility of reinvestment on maturity.
- Maturity proceeds which are not drawn are eligible for Post office Savings account interest for a maximum period of two years.
- KVPs can be pledged as security against a loan to Banks/Govt. Institutions.
- KVPs are transferable to any Post office in India.
- KVPs can be transferable from one person to another person before maturity.
- Nomination Facility is available in case of KVPs
- Duplicate can be issued for lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated and defaced KVPs